Monday, August 20, 2012

Proof is in the Pudding

So this is the post in which I prove I have been productive. I have been working hard to finish up some works in progress this year and set myself a goal to use up as much of my stash as possible.

I finally made a proper start and finished the quilt top for Ollie's Single Boy quilt. Last year, I cut out the templates and a few of the letters, but stopped to work on Christmas presents and never quite made it back to finish this quilt. This will be one of Oliver's gifts when he turns 5 next month. The backing is a grey print from the Little Apples line.

I had assumed that this would be a difficult quilt too, but I am pleased to say that sewing those arcs and the curves was not as difficult as I thought it would have been. I was able to finish this quilt top up in about a weeks worth of sewing in the evenings and I would definitely encourage others to try this pattern. I have another matching quilt to make for Oliver's bunks and another Single Girl quilt to make for my SIL and I am really looking forward to making this pattern again!

This is actually the backing of the quilt below. I really didn't want to have to buy any fabric, so I chopped up a bunch of FQ's I purchased last year and a panel, added some left over squares from the Philatelic Society and voila! the backing was complete!

Here's the front... This quilt was also started last year (bit of a theme going on!). I started this around the same time as the Philatelic Society, and by the time I finished that quilt I'd had enough of looking at the Look and Learn fabric. Shameful I know. So this quilt sat in my WIP container unloved and untouched for a LONG time. In the end, this quilt also came together rather well. I finished chopping out the triangles and sewed my half hexies together, then once the quilt was laid out as I wished, it didn't take too long to turn the half hexies into rows and then the rows into a quilt top.

This probably is my most favourite quilt I've made to date.

And finally, a project started this year! I finished up this quilt top the other night (it needed two extra rows). This quilt will be used in our room in the winter months. I am just trying to decide what colours to do the back. I am going to buy some Kona solids.

So there you have it! Proof that I have been sewing! I have shared each of these quilts while they've been in progress over on Instagram. My name is lpsimpson if you want to find me :) I seem to share more regularly there than I do here (and there's quite a few pic's of Pepper too!).

Hopefully soon I'll be able to share these quilts in a finished state (not just quilt tops)! In the meantime, I've started working on another quilt of which I will share here soon. It's a very personal quilt top and I am looking forward to sharing it's story with you.

Until then, happy sewing all! x

Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Place to Call Our Own

In March this year we finally moved into our own home. After many open homes and lots of real estate agents we finally had a place to call our own. A home.

I shared some pictures of the house (before we moved in) way back here. I thought it would be fun to share some updated pictures with our things as we continue to make the place ours. There's lots of space on the walls still and I am looking forward to filling it with art and things. Call it a work in progress!

First room on the home tour is our room. The master bedroom.

The mendocino quilt still takes pride of place.

Gorgeous french doors that lead to nowhere.

His n her wardrobes - a dream come true! Mine also houses the stash.

Our room is perfect. Nicely painted with gorgeous windows and lots of natural light. The curtains are tasteful and the wardrobes make me happy. So does that chest of drawers. It's definitely the best bedroom I've ever had! Well worth the wait.

Next up on the house tour will be Gus' bedroom... I'll aim for the same time next week (but don't hold your breath!).

Happy sewing x