Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Quilt for John


I am very pleased to be sharing this special quilt for the quilt festival. Thank you for stopping at my small little part of the web.

I pulled it from the dryer this morning, in all it's crinkly goodness. This quilt is definitely an all time favourite. In fact I think it rates in my top 2 favourite quilts of all time.

This quilt was made with love for my Father in Law John. Tomorrow is his 70th birthday. While I made this quilt I thought about all the wonderful things John has done for our little family and for me. He is the loveliest person you could ever hope to meet. Patient. Kind. Selfless. Generous. Humble. Gentle. Always there to listen. Always there to care and help.

John's become such an important person in our life and for such a special birthday I wanted to make him something special.


This quilt is made with an Arcadia Layer Cake and Kona PFD white. The binding is a gorgeous solid aqua I bought from my LQS. I think it's a linen blend by Moda?



A quick trial run on our bed... Needless to say I am tickled with how this quilt has come together.


A close up of the quilting ...


Arcadia. Yum. The perfect manly line.


Blowing away in the wind.

I chose a very simple pattern, 9 patch blocks sashed in white. The patterns in Arcadia are so striking that I thought they didn't need a fussy quilt pattern. I'll be giving this to John tomorrow. I hope he will love this quilt.


An oldie but a goodie. John sneaking in some early morning cuddles with Oliver before work.

Wishing you the happiest birthday and many happy returns John. Here's to many more opportunities to celebrate!

I am also linking in with Finish it Up Friday even though it's Saturday. This quilt was finished up last night.

Thanks again for stopping to have a look at my wee entry this year. And many thanks to Amy!

27 comments:

  1. It's a wonderful quilt for a wonderful man! Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent quilt! Love the fabrics and what a sweet picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. What a sweet post. I love Arcadia, & I love the quilt you made. I'm sure it will make John very happy (& loved!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is the second quilt posted today I have seen made with Ardadia - and I LOVE it!!! awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so beautiful...i love it. the acadia is so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely post and a great quilt. Happy birthday to John, and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. What a great gift. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This quilt is simply stunning and you're right it just needed a simple pattern to showcase those fabrics. The colour palette is perfect for a masculine quilt and I'm sure your Father-in-law will be tickled pink with your efforts. He sounds like the perfect Father-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw! How sweet! I'm sure he'll love it! What a nice story! I love that sideways picture too! What a precious baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure he will cherish it, nothing better than a gift from the heart...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely stunning Lara! You did so well.
    And I know how good John has been and is to you - someone truely deserving of such a fine gift xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks beautiful Lara! I love those colours so much. My favourite quilt that I've made is a nine patch quilt as well. Must be something perfect about that design. I hope your father in law has a wonderful birthday, I know he's going to love his present.

    Sarah Red Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post and I love the quilt too! I really adore Arcadia and have a shelf full I am too scared to cut into! I think you are right, it needs a pattern that lets the fabric speak for itself. Great to see you again. (and that's me having been away, not you, lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday John!!

    Lovely quilt Lara xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning! I love that photo at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a great quilt, Lara! I just love it when a quilt comes together so well and the end product is wonderful! That must be what you are feeling. He'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how I love Arcadia! Such a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how cute this quilt is especially for the simplicity of the design. My favorite type of patterns! Thanks for sharing, this is going on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love arcadia!!!! It turned out so beautifully. He is surely going to treasure it. SMiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic! I'll bet he loves it. He sounds like the kind of man who would truly appreciate such a loving gift. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful post, beautiful quilt! well done! happy 70th birthday, John :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lucky john! Great quilt. Nice fabrics and colors. Thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on such a wondeful FIL and baby! The quilt is lovely and I'm sure he's enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely quilt - thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my small part of the web! Please leave a comment so I know that you have been :)